Optimized for fast shooting speeds and working in difficult conditions, the AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/4E FL ED VR is an impressive telephoto designed for Nikon FX-format DSLRs. The sophisticated optical design incorporates two fluorite and three extra-low dispersion elements to control chromatic aberrations and distortions, as well as lessen the overall weight of the lens. Also contributing to improved image quality, both Nano Crystal and Super Integrated Coatings have been applied to lens elements to lessen flare and ghosting for improved contrast, clarity, and color fidelity. Protecting the advanced optical design is a front fluorine-coated meniscus glass element that, when paired with the weather-resistant magnesium alloy barrel, supports working in inclement conditions.
A Silent Wave Motor AF system produces fast, near-silent focusing performance that suits both stills shooting and movie recording which can instantly be manually overridden by simply turning the manual focus ring. Further contributing to photographing in fast-paced situations and difficult lighting, VR (Vibration Reduction) image stabilization compensates for the effects of camera shake by up to four shutter speed steps. Additionally, an electromagnetic aperture mechanism is integrated into the lens design to provide greater exposure control stability that is especially beneficial when working with faster continuous shooting rates.
- Designed for use with FX image sensors, this lens is also compatible with DX sensors where it will provide a 750mm equivalent focal length.
- Two fluorite and three ED lens elements work to reduce chromatic aberrations; improve overall image sharpness, clarity, and color fidelity; and help to minimize the overall weight of the lens.
- Vibration Reduction image stabilization helps to reduce the appearance of camera shake for up to four shutter speed stops, benefiting this lens' use in low-light conditions. Additionally, a designated Sport Mode is well-suited to working in fast-paced conditions and a Tripod Mode helps to suppress subtle ground vibrations when working atop a support system.
- Silent Wave Motor autofocus mechanism provides quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance that is ideal for photographing fast-moving subjects.
- Full-time manual focus override allows instant switching between AF and MF focusing systems by just rotating the focus ring at any time.
- Internal focusing design maintains the overall lens length during operation and contributes to a lighter overall weight, as well as a minimum focusing distance of 11.9'.
- Specialized electromagnetic aperture mechanism provides greater exposure control stability that is especially beneficial when working with fast continuous shooting rates.
- A Nano Crystal Coat, along with a Super Integrated Coating, has been applied to lens elements to minimize surface and internal reflections for a marked reduction in lens flare and ghosting.
- Fluorine-coated front meniscus glass element affords protection to the optical system.
- Dust- and moisture-resistant magnesium alloy lens barrel benefits the lens' use in inclement conditions.
- A removable monopod collar is included with the lens for well-balanced support when working from a monopod or tripod. The collar ring also incorporates ball bearings for smooth transitions between horizontal and vertical shooting orientations.