The Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Digital Camera is the world's first compact digital camera with a 50x optical zoom lens. The impressive focal length range extends all the way from a wide-angle 24mm to a super-telephoto 1200mm (35mm equivalent). The camera has a 12.1MP CMOS image sensor and a DIGIC 5 Image Processor, enabling you to capture high-resolution JPEG and RAW still images, as well as full HD 1080p video with stereo sound. The 2.8" Vari-Angle LCD monitor features a resolution of 461,000 pixels and an electronic viewfinder.
Sensitivity up to ISO 6400 helps the camera produce clear, detailed images even in low-light situations. Optical image stabilization compensates for camera shake in these conditions for crisp, blur-free image quality. High Speed AF provides fast 0.19-sec focusing, improving upon the SX40 HS's 0.38 sec, and a reduction in shooting lag time from 0.45 sec (on the SX40 HS) to 0.25 sec to ensure that you don't miss a shot. Zoom Framing Assist Seek and Lock functions make it easy to track your subjects and keep them centered in the frame until you capture the image.
High-Speed Burst HQ enables continuous capture at 13fps for up to 10 frames. Smart AUTO mode automatically chooses the best camera settings for the situation, selecting from 58 predefined scenarios. Face ID adjusts focus and exposure priority based upon up to 12 pre-registered faces. A variety of shooting modes are at your disposal as well, including Manual, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority and Program, plus Movie Digest for combining a whole day's worth of clips into a video, Stitch Assist for panoramic shots, and many more. High Dynamic Range (HDR) mode combines 3 different exposures into one evenly-lit image.
With the camera's built-in hot shoe, you can use optional Canon Speedlite flashes, such as the 270EX II, 320EX, and 600EX-RT. Using a USB cable and the PictBridge interface, one can enjoy the ability to print directly from the camera to a compatible printer without using a computer.
- World's First Compact Digital Camera With 50x Optical Zoom Lens
- The 4.3-215mm focal length range extends all the way from a wide-angle 24mm to a super-telephoto 1200mm (35mm equivalent), for exceptional versatility up close and far away
- CMOS Sensor and DIGIC 5 Processor
- A 12.1MP CMOS image sensor and DIGIC 5 Image Processor combine to form Canon's HS SYSTEM, enabling you to capture high-resolution JPEG and RAW still images--including RAW+JPEG--and full HD 1080p video with stereo sound. The combination of sensor and processor permits the use of higher shutter speeds for clearer images with less blur and reduced noise, and also allows for improved tracking performance, even in low light. The CMOS sensor provides clear image capture at high ISO levels with low noise. The camera uses a 12-bit converter to process the output of the sensor, producing true color, smooth tonal transitions and natural gradations. The processor gives you faster continuous shooting speeds at high resolutions and also aids in lens correction and special scene modes.
- RAW Image Capture
- Shooting in RAW mode records all the information captured by the sensor, giving you maximum flexibility and creative control when editing your images with Canon's included software. In RAW mode, choose from several aspect ratios, including 16:9, 3:2, 4:3, 1:1, and 4:5. Record simultaneously in RAW and JPEG formats, as well
- Vari-Angle LCD with Viewfinder
- The camera features a 2.8" Vari-Angle LCD monitor with a resolution of 461,000 pixels and an electronic viewfinder with approximately 202,000 pixels. The LCD flips out and rotates/swivels to enable shooting at various angles, as well as the capture of perfectly-framed self-portraits. It provides approximately 100% coverage
- High Sensitivity
- Sensitivity up to ISO 6400 helps the camera produce clear, detailed images even in low-light situations
- Optical Image Stabilizer
- Delivers clear, blur-free image quality in low light or when the camera shakes, without the use of a tripod. Plus, you have Intelligent IS to automatically select from six different modes to optimize image stabilization for the given situation: Normal, Panning, Macro (Hybrid) and Tripod IS for stills; and Dynamic, Powered, Macro and Tripod IS for video. Dynamic IS, effective at wide-angle focal lengths, has been improved, now compensating for rotational movement centered on the optical axis in addition to horizontal tilt and vertical pitch. Panning ensures IS does not interfere with camera movement. Hybrid corrects for shift-type camera shake that normally occurs during macro shooting. Powered mode compensates for hand movement at telephoto focal lengths, where camera shake gets magnified. Tripod mode automatically stops the IS system when tripod use is detected, because it is no longer necessary
- Fast Focusing and Shorter Lag Time
- High Speed AF provides faster focusing at 0.19 sec, compared to 0.38 sec on the SX40 HS, and a reduction in shooting lag time from 0.45 sec (on the SX40 HS) to 0.25 sec also helps ensure that you don't miss a shot (measured at light value LV 13, P mode / Single AF (center point)). Camera has both TTL autofocus and manual focus
- Zoom Framing Assist Seek and Lock
- The Seek functions make it easy to locate and track your subject, even at a long distance, and keep it centered in the frame until you capture the image. Just press a button and this function recalls your previous zoom position, zooms out to let you locate the subject, and zooms right back to the saved position when you release the button. With Zoom Framing Assist Lock, the camera locks onto and automatically tracks your subject, keeping it in the center of the frame until you're ready to capture that close-up shot
- High-Speed Continuous Shooting
- High-Speed Burst HQ enables continuous capture at 13fps for up to 10 frames. Other continuous shooting speeds: Normal: approximately 2.2 shots/sec. in P mode. AF: approximately 0.8 shots/sec in P mode, approximately 4.1 shots/sec in High-Speed Burst HQ. LV: approximately 0.9 shots/sec in P mode
- Full HD 1080p Video
- Capture high-definition 1920x1080p with stereo sound at 24fps via a dedicated movie button embedded in the camera's thumb pad. You can also record in HD 1280x720p at 30fps, including in iFrame movie format and Movie Digest modes. In Miniature Effect, you can record 1280x720 video or VGA 640x480 video at 6, 3 or 1.5fps. Additionally, you can record 640x480 video at 30fps. Super Slow Motion Movie lets you capture video at 640x480 at 120fps or 320x240 at 240fps. Use the full zoom range while you shoot movies, and view playback on an HDTV via the camera's HDMI output (HDMI cable sold separately).
- Smart AUTO and Face ID
- The Smart AUTO option takes the guesswork out of shooting by automatically selecting the best camera setting for the scene, from 58 predefined shooting situations. Face ID adjusts focus and exposure priority based upon pre-registered faces. You can register up to 12 faces
- Shooting Modes
- Custom lets you define and store your own settings. Manual affords you complete control over exposure. In Aperture Priority, you set the aperture, controlling depth-of-field, and the camera sets the shutter speed. In Shutter Priority, you choose the shutter speed and the camera finds the appropriate aperture. With slow exposure times, Canon's noise reduction system is activated to ensure reduced image noise. Program mode gives you access to advanced exposure compensation features while shooting mostly automatically. In Movie Digest mode, the camera records a video clip prior to capturing a still image and then combines a day's worth of clips into a video. You can easily playback and review clips and delete unwanted scenes. In Sports mode, the camera uses a high shutter speed to capture fast-moving subjects. Portrait mode provides a wide aperture, focusing the subject and blurring the background. Other shooting modes available include Smooth Skin, Smart Shutter for detecting smiles and winks, Handheld Night Scene, Snow, and Fireworks. Stitch Assist lets you create panoramic photos by combining multiple frames. Creative Filters available include Toy Camera, Poster Effect, Monochrome and more. High Dynamic Range combines 3 different exposures into a single evenly-lit image. Plus, you have Fisheye, Miniature Effect for Movies & Stills, Soft Focus, Super Vivid, Color Accent and Color Swap modes. The iFrame Movie mode makes it easier and faster to import and upload videos while retaining high image quality, while Super Slow Motion Movie records clips at a fast 240fps for detailed slow-motion playback
- Photo Effects
- Choose from My Colors Off, Vivid, Neutral, Sepia, Black & White, Positive Film, Lighter Skin Tone, Darker Skin Tone, Vivid Blue, Vivid Green, Vivid Red, Custom Color
- Built-in Flash
- Auto, Flash On, Slow Synchro, and Flash Off modes are available. Flash exposure compensation is ±2 stops in 1/3-stop increments
- Hot Shoe for Flashes
- The camera's built-in hot shoe is compatible with optional Canon Speedlite flashes, such as the 270EX II, 320EX, 430EX II and 600EX-RT to improve lighting
- Self-Timer with Custom Setting
- Options for the self-timer include 10-sec and 2-sec delay, as well as a custom setting allowing for a delay of 0-15 sec in one-sec increments or 20, 25 or 30 sec.
- Playback Options
- Stills and videos: Auto Rotate (Automatic vertical/horizontal detection), Index Continuous Display, Image Advance (Operation Tools, Transition Effects, Scroll Display), Rotate, Favorites, My Category, Smart Shuffle, Group Playback, Movie Digest, Slideshow (Playback Interval, Repeat, Effect, Playlist)
Still images: Single, Index, Magnification (2-10x), Switch to other images while zoomed, Information Display, Red-eye Correction, i-Contrast, Photobook Setup, Trimming, Resize, My Colors, Face ID info, Focus Check, Histogram, RGB Histogram, Location Information, Overexposure Warning
Videos: Normal Playback with audio settings available in 5 levels, Slow Motion, Skip Backward (approximately 4 sec), Previous Frame (slow motion available), Next Frame (slow motion available), Skip Forward (approximately 4 sec), Erase chapters, Editing
With the included ImageBrowser EX software, 8 levels (1/8x to 1x) of playback speed are possible for Super Slow Motion Movies on your computer
- Erase Mode
- Select Image, Select Range, Select All Images. The image data in the memory card stored with the Design rule for Camera File systems format can be erased, but protected images cannot be erased. By using the Movie editing function, you can delete sections of the movie
- Direct Printing to Compatible Printers
- With Canon's Direct Print system, simply connect the camera to a Canon PIXMA, SELPHY or PictBridge-compatible photo printer via USB and press the button to print your pictures
- Supported Languages
- English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, Korean, Greek, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Thai, Arabic, Romanian, Ukrainian, Farsi, Hindi, Malay, Indonesian and Vietnamese