The Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lensis the first true macro lens of their EF-S series, made specifically for "APS-C" format Canon SLR cameras such as all cameras in the EOS Digital Rebel series, 20D/30D/40D/50D/60D and 7D.
This dynamic, compact, fast-focusing lens provides dramatic detail that goes beyond the human eye. Having an effective 35mm equivalent focal length of ~96mm, it produces 1:1 magnification for extremely detailed close-up images. It is also a very good portrait lens. Autofocusing is achieved with Canon's very best ring-type USM motor, which is fast and silent and allows you to manually override the focus at any time without needing to switch the camera's settings. The field of focus is flat, important in macro work, and the aperture diaphragm is circular to allow more natural background highlights.
Designed for digital photography, the EF-S 60mm Macro has specially shaped lens elements and inner focusing, with a floating element lens design to give good results in images taken at distances beyond the macro realm. It also has Canon's Super Spectra coatings to suppress ghosting and flare from reflections off digital sensors. An optional lens hood (ET-67B) further reduces the incidence of flare.
- A macro specialist short telephoto lens for APS-C type, EF-S compatible Canon SLR cameras but is not for cameras with full size sensors. This lens is compatible with EF-S series, made specifically for "APS-C" format Canon EOS DSLRs - including all cameras in the EOS Digital Rebel series, and the 20D/30D/40D/50D/60D and 7D.
- Canon's best fast ring-type USM autofocus with full-time manual override.
- True flat-field macro lens that focuses to full 1:1 life-size magnification.
- Fill camera's frame with subjects the size of a penny.
- Canon's shortest focal length macro lens ever with fully internal, focusing and a minimum focus distance of 7.8" (20cm).
- Accepts both MR-14EX Macro Ring Lite and MT-24EX Macro Twin Lite.
- Circular aperture diaphragm for natural highlights, even when stopped down to f/5.6.
- Optimized for digital SLRs: special coatings to minimize reflections and flare.