D850 4K Filmmakers Kit
Created for aspiring videographers, the Nikon D850 Filmmaker's Kit has been assembled with the essential tools for making the most of the D850's video recording capabilities. Included in this kit is the FX-format D850 DSLR camera; the AF-S NIKKOR 20mm f/1.8G ED, 35mm f/1.8G ED, and 85mm f/1.8G prime lenses; a spare EN-EL15a lithium-ion battery; the ME-1 Stereo Microphone and ME-W1 Wireless Microphone Set; and an Atomos Ninja Flame 7" 4K HDMI recording monitor.
D850 DSLR Camera (Body Only)
Proving that speed and resolution can indeed coexist, the Nikon D850 is a multimedia DSLR that brings together robust stills capabilities along with apt movie and time-lapse recording. Revolving around a newly designed 45.7MP BSI CMOS sensor and proven EXPEED 5 image processor, the D850 is clearly distinguished by its high resolution for recording detailed imagery. The back-illuminated design of the sensor is able to acquire greater detail and clarity when working in low-light conditions, and the sensor also forgoes an optical low-pass filter for improved sharpness. Working in conjunction with the sensor is the EXPEED 5 image processor, which together afford a 7 fps continuous shooting rate for up to 51 consecutive frames, an expandable sensitivity range from ISO 32 to 102400, and 4K UHD video recording using either a DX crop or the entire area of the full-frame sensor. An 8K time-lapse recording mode is also available, as well as additional specialized recording modes for digitizing film negatives and for focus stacking applications. Benefitting the imaging capabilities is an advanced Multi-CAM 20K 153-point AF system, which debuted with the flagship D5 and offers 99 cross-type sensors for refined focusing accuracy in a variety of lighting conditions. Checking off a number of boxes for multimedia image-makers, the D850 positions itself as not only a high-resolution DSLR but also as a camera for speed, movies, and low-light shooting needs.
Balancing the versatile imaging features, the D850 is also equally refined in its physical design. A large optical pentaprism offering a wide field of view and 0.75x magnification affords photographers a bright, clear, and realistic view for critical shooting needs. Conversely, a 3.2" 2.36m-dot LCD touchscreen is also available for live view shooting, playback, and menu navigation, and features a tilting design to suit working from high and low angles. A weather-sealed design is also employed, to suit working in a variety of environmental conditions, and the optional MB-D18 grip can be added to boost overall shooting times and continuous shooting rates. Additionally, built-in SnapBridge allows for wireless sharing of low-resolution imagery and remote live view use on a linked mobile device, and an optional WT-7a Wireless Transmitter can also be used for faster wireless transferring of files.
45.7MP FX-Format BSI CMOS Sensor and EXPEED 5 Processor
A first for Nikon DSLRs, a 45.7MP BSI CMOS sensor is used for high-resolution shooting, impressive low-light quality, and fast readout speeds to benefit continuous shooting, movies, and time-lapse recording. The back-illuminated design of the sensor affords noticeably cleaner high-sensitivity output for reduced noise when working at high ISO values, up to a native ISO 25600, as well as vivid and smooth quality at sensitivities as low as ISO 64. The sensor's design also omits the conventional optical low-pass filter in order to achieve the greatest sharpness and resolution from the sensor.
Benefitting the sensor is the apt EXPEED 5 image processor, which affords a wealth of speed throughout the camera system, including the ability to shoot continuously at 7 fps for up to 51 consecutive 14-bit lossless compressed raw files in a single burst. When working with the optional MB-D18 grip and EN-EL18a/b battery, this shooting rate can be increased to 9 fps, and up to 30 fps shooting is possible when working in a DX crop mode during Silent Live View.
153-Point Multi-CAM 20K Autofocus System
Complementing the rendering capabilities and speed of the image sensor is the robust Multi-CAM 20K AF system, which features 153 total phase-detection points, including 99 cross-type sensors for improved subject recognition, and 55 of the points are selectable for greater compositional freedom. Benefitting the use of super telephoto lenses and teleconverters, 15 of the points, including nine selectable points, are compatible with an effective aperture of f/8, and all 153 points support working with effective aperture of f/5.6 or brighter.
Managing the abundance of focusing points is a dedicated AF engine, which offers quick response times to benefit tracking fast and randomly moving subjects, even at the top 7 fps shooting rate. The AF engine also contributes to enhanced focusing sensitivity, with all points capable of focusing -4 EV for working in very dark, low-contrast situations.
Furthering the versatility of the focusing system, different AF-area modes can be selected to support varying types of subject matter:
- Single-Point AF: The camera uses a single point to find focus.
- Dynamic-Area AF: Available with 25, 72, or 153-point selections, this mode uses a primary single focus point to lock onto focus, and then makes use of the surrounding points for maintaining focus while tracking erratically-moving subjects.
- Group-Area AF: This mode treats smaller groups of AF points as a single point for a wider field of recognition, and is well-suited to tracking faces or other detailed subjects.
- 3D-Tracking: Using a subject's color information, this mode utilizes all 153 points to maintain focus on a moving subject while half-pressing the shutter button.
- Auto-Area AF: This mode makes use of all 153 points to quickly identify the main subject, and then prioritizes recognized faces as portrait subjects in any AF servo mode.
Lastly, a unique auto AF fine-tune function can be employed to ensure the best possible focus for each mounted lens. Rather than relying on photographing distance charts, this function lets you achieve precise focus manually in live view, and then have the AF system calibrate itself to the fine-tuned focus position in order to alleviate front- and back-focusing issues.
4K UHD Video Recording and 8K Time-Lapse
Utilizing the sensor and processor attributes for more than just still imagery, the D850 is also a more-than-capable multimedia camera. Video recording is possible at 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) using either the full-frame area or a DX crop area in 30p, 25, or 24p frame rates. Full HD 1080p video recording is also supported at up to 120p for slow motion playback, and video files can be saved to the in-camera memory cards or as an uncompressed file to an optional external recorder via HDMI out.
Benefitting video recording, a dedicated power aperture button (Pv) makes it possible to achieve smooth, continuous exposure transitions when switching from light to dark areas, and Auto ISO can also be used to maintain a consistent brightness when working in changing lighting situations. Focus Peaking can be used to benefit manual focus control and a Zebra Stripes option is also available to help detect over-exposed areas within the frame. Audio recording can be handled using the built-in stereo microphone or an optional external mic can be added via the 3.5mm stereo jack for greater control over quality, and live monitoring is possible via the headphone jack.
The D850 also blends both still and video capabilities with the ability to produce 8K time-lapses using the Interval Timer Mode or in-camera 4K time-lapse movies, with the ability to record up to 9999 exposures for either method. This system also makes use of a silent interval timer, which produces no shutter noise, does not contribute to wear on the shutter mechanism, and is energy efficient to maximize battery life.
- A large 3.2" 2.359m-dot LCD screen is available for bright, clear, and vivid image playback and live view shooting. The screen has a tilting design to benefit working from both high and low angles, and it is also a touchscreen for more intuitive operation, navigation, and settings control.
- The bright optical pentaprism viewfinder offers a large 0.75x magnification and a wide field of view for comfortable and accurate use.
- Configured with one XQD memory card slot and one UHS-II-compliant SD memory card slot, which allows you to extend file saving capabilities by permitting overflow recording, in-camera file-duplicating, or the ability to segregate raw and JPEG files between the two cards.
- A robust magnesium alloy chassis is both dust- and weather-resistant to benefit working in harsh climates and inclement conditions.
- The ergonomic grip and overall form factor is shaped to benefit handling for extended periods of time and is further accentuated by an anti-slip material and a joystick for seamless settings and focus point selection. Additionally, most of the rear buttons are illuminated for greater visibility when working in dim lighting conditions.
- The included EN-EL15a rechargeable lithium-ion battery is CIPA-rated to last for approximately 1840 shots per charge. If paired with the optional MB-D18 grip and EN-EL18a/b battery, you can record approximately 5140 shots per charge.
- Scene Recognition System and Exposure Metering
- The intelligent Scene Recognition System with 3D Color Matrix Metering III utilizes a 180,000-pixel RGB sensor to evaluate and analyze all aspects within a scene, including brightness, contrast, subject distance, and the scene colors, to quickly determine an accurate exposure and white balance setting to best render the scene at hand. The information gathered is also checked against onboard reference images to ensure consistency from image to image in regard to exposure, white balance, i-TTL flash settings, and subject-tracking AF performance.
- Other Camera Features
- Built-in SnapBridge connectivity to enable seamless transfer of low-resolution imagery as well as remote shooting capabilities. BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) and Wi-Fi enables communication between the camera and a smart device and, additionally, the mobile device can remotely trigger the shutter and display a live view image from the camera to enable working from a distance.
- Faster wireless transfer is possible using the optional WT-7a Wireless Transmitter.
- A Negative Digitizer mode is specifically designed for photographing film negatives and slides to convert them to high-resolution digital files. This mode is intended to be used with the optional AF-S Micro NIKKOR 60mm f/2.8G ED lens and the ES-2 Slide Copying Adapter.
- Focus Shift Mode benefits working with focus stacking techniques by automatically recording a series of images at up to 10 different focus steps. Up to 300 individual frames can be recorded within these 10 steps, with the D850 automatically shifting focus between each shot to achieve an extended depth of field. The sequential images will be saved within a unique folder on the memory card in order to keep each series of exposures segregated for a faster and easier post-production workflow.
- In-camera shooting in the 1:1 square format and classic 4:5 format is possible, and the viewfinder will be automatically shaded during shooting in order to aid in more accurate composition.
- Raw files can be recorded in three separate sizes for expedited post-production, and in-camera raw file batch processing is also possible.
- The D850 is compatible with the radio-controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting system, which permits working with the optional WR-R10 Controller and WR-A10 Receiver, along with the SB-5000, for intuitive, controllable wireless flash shooting.
- Picture Control modes allow you to set predefined looks to imagery in-camera and include Flat, Landscape, Monochrome, Neutral, Portrait, Standard, Vivid, and auto settings.
- Language support: Arabic, Bengali, Brazilian Portuguese, Bulgarian, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Marathi, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, and Vietnamese.
AF-S NIKKOR 20mm f/1.8G ED Lens
The AF-S NIKKOR 20mm f/1.8G ED Lens from Nikon is a wide-angle lens that is compatible with both full frame FX and DX crop sensor cameras. The fast f/1.8 maximum aperture allows a shallow depth of field for selective focus use, as well as shooting in low-light situations.
The lens provides a 94° angle of view (30mm, 70° equivalent on DX-format cameras), and has a minimum focus distance of 7.8", allowing you to get close to your subject while isolating it from the background.
Two aspherical and two Extra-low Dispersion elements with Nano Crystal Coating reduce sagittal flare and chromatic aberration, producing sharp images throughout the frame. Nikon's Rear Focusing System eliminates change in physical length of the lens when focusing. A Silent Wave Motor provides quick, near-silent autofocusing. A soft pouch and lens hood are included.
AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G ED Lens
The AF-S NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G ED Lens from Nikon is an FX-format lens designed for Nikon F-mount cameras. It features a maximum aperture of f/1.8 which allows you to create separation between your subject and the background as well as the ability to capture high quality imagery in low-light conditions. When used on a DX-format camera, the lens provides a 35mm focal length equivalence of 52.5mm.
For maintaining optical quality, this lens has an extra-low dispersion glass element that reduces chromatic aberrations and increases contrast and sharpness as well as an aspherical element that suppresses spherical aberration and distortion. This combines with Super Integrated lens coatings that minimize ghosting and flare, resulting in a clear image across the frame.
The lens utilizes a Silent Wave Motor for fast and quiet autofocus and its rear focusing system eliminates changes in the physical length of the lens during focusing and enables faster overall focusing. Its minimum focus distance is 9.8".
- A very practical wide-angle prime lens useful for multiple photographic applications. On DX-format DSLRs, its 35mm focal length equivalence is 52.5mm.
- Silent Wave Motor provides fast, accurate and near-silent autofocus.
- Rear focus system means only the rear lens group moves during focusing, thus eliminating changes in the physical length of the lens during focusing and enabling faster focusing.
- Optical construction features 11 elements in 8 groups including one aspherical and one ED lens to reduce aberrations.
- Nikon Super Integrated lens Coating enhances light transmission thus reducing ghosting and flare.
- Seven rounded diaphragm blades produce smooth out-of-focus areas.
- Uses 58mm screw-in filters and includes detachable petal-style lens hood.
AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G Lens
The AF-S NIKKOR 85mm f/1.8G Lens from Nikon is a fast, compact FX-format prime medium telephoto lens. Though optimized for FX-format DSLR cameras, the lens is equally adept at serving any Nikon DX-format DSLR. The combination of its mid-range telephoto design and a fast f/1.8 aperture make it an excellent option for shooting both still images and HD video in low light scenarios. Available light shooters will love the wide-open effect when shooting intimate portraits; in-focus subjects will stay sharp, while distracting backgrounds will melt into a pleasing soft blur. When mounted on a DX-format DSLR, this 85mm prime delivers an apparent focal length of approximately 127mm.
The lens boasts Silent Wave Motor technology (AFS) and Internal Focus for fast and quiet autofocus that won't alter the length of the lens, thus preserving working distance throughout the focus range. The Silent Wave Motor utilizes ultrasonic (inaudible) vibrations instead of a gear system to focus the lens, offering beautifully smooth, silent and accurate autofocus operation.
When fine manual focusing is required, just rotate the lens focus ring. The M/A mode switch offers a seamless override of the AF system with practically no time lag at all! Nikon's Super Integrated Coating (SIC) improves light transmission and provides better color consistency and minimized flare.
The AF-S 85mm f/1.8 is lightweight, fast, and easy to tote around. Weighing in at 8.0 oz less than the venerable 85mm f/1.4 - shooters that favor prime lenses can toss this optic in their gear bag without hesitation - it's small enough and light enough to take along everywhere!
- Fast, compact FX-format prime medium telephoto lens. Fast maximum aperture is great for capturing stills or HD video in low light situations, and for head and shoulder portraiture, weddings and concerts
- Take flattering portraits under all lighting conditions: Great for studio, on-set or available light shooting, as well as capturing still images or HD videos of subjects with attractive skin tones and producing beautiful background blur. When you want to isolate your subject from the background in indoor or outdoor photography, this lens renders a gorgeous natural background blur (Bokeh) at the wider aperture settings
- Though optimized for FX-format DSLR cameras, the lens is equally adept at serving any Nikon DX-format DSLR. When mounted on a DX-format DSLR, this 85mm prime delivers a 35mm focal length equivalence of approximately 127mm
- Boasts Silent Wave Motor technology (AFS) and Internal Focus for fast and quiet autofocus that won't alter the length of the lens, thus preserving working distance throughout the focus range. Internal optical movement is restricted to the interior of the non-extending lens barrel, enabling smaller, lightweight construction and closer focusing distance. SWM utilizes ultrasonic (inaudible) vibrations instead of a gear system to focus the lens, converting traveling waves into rotational energy, thus offering beautifully smooth, silent and accurate autofocus operation. Enjoy sharp, clear image quality at all apertures
- When fine manual focusing is required, just rotate the lens focus ring. M/A mode enables you to seamlessly override the AF system with practically no time lag at all, even during AF servo operation and regardless of which AF mode is in use!
- Nikon's Super Integrated Coating (SIC) is a multi-layer lens coating that improves light transmission, provides better color consistency, and minimizes ghost and flare to a negligible level. Enjoy reduced reflection in the wider wavelength range and exceptional color balance and reproduction
- Rounded 7-blade diaphragm that creates a gorgeous natural background blur (Bokeh) at the wider aperture settings
ME-1 Stereo Microphone
Create higher-quality audio than your camera can alone with this stereo mic. The Nikon ME-1 Stereo Microphone is designed specifically for recording audio while making DSLR videos. The ME-1 fits into compatible camera shoes, and connects to the camera via the 3.5mm stereo mini-plug. A low-cut filter blocks wind noise, while the cable stop helps prevent noises caused by cable movement.
- Designed for use with a digital SLR camera with a 3.5mm (diameter) stereo mini-pin jack
- Equipped with a cable stop which holds the cable in place to prevent noise from being recorded with accidental contact with the cable
- Reduces vibration noise during autofocus
- Low-cut filter reduces wind noise and other low-frequency noise not blocked by the wind screen
ME-W1 Wireless Microphone Set
Record monaural audio from subjects from up to 164' away with the water-resistant ME-W1 Wireless Microphone Set from Nikon. The mic uses Bluetooth connectivity and is compatible with all Nikon DSLR, Nikon 1, and COOLPIX cameras that have a 3.5mm microphone jack. The set includes a microphone, receiver, windscreen, audio cable, and a case.
Both the microphone and the receiver capture audio, allowing you to record voices of both the photographer and the subject. Headphones can be plugged into both the mic and the receiver so that both parties can hear each other when shooting at a distance. Stereo recording can be achieved by connecting the optional ME-1 microphone to the ME-W1.
- Mixing (mono and stereo, mono and mono)
- Sound delay suppressive function
- Echo cancellation
- Noise cancellation
- Popping sound cancellation
Ninja Flame 7" 4K HDMI Recording Monitor
The Atomos Ninja Flame is a 7", 1920 x 1200 on-camera recording monitor combining 4K recording with a 10-bit FRC panel that supports native display of HDR (log) footage, as well as high-brightness viewing of Rec. 709 footage. It utilizes an HDMI input to support clean output signals at resolutions up to UHD 4K, recording it to 2.5" SSDs using 10-bit, 4:2:2 Apple ProRes and Avid DNxHR codecs.
The 10-bit panel and AtomHDR display technology support a brightness range of over 10 stops, allowing you to more accurately monitor your log gamma footage without having to view flat, washed-out looking images, or use a LUT to compress the dynamic range and color space. The monitor offers built-in pre-sets to accurately translate popular log formats from Sony, Canon, Panasonic, ARRI, RED, and JVC cameras. The settings only affect viewing, with recorded video remaining unaltered.
In addition to HDR monitoring, the monitor also offers a High Bright mode for traditional Rec. 709 monitoring. This mode takes advantage of the full 1500 cd/m² brightness to allow for more confident monitoring in bright outdoor environments, even without a sun hood. In HDR mode, use of an included snap-on sun hood is required, as displaying a wider brightness range reduces the overall brightness of the monitor.
Built to withstand the rigors of production, the Ninja Flame features built-in protective armor with silicone-covered corners and chamfered edges. Compared to the original Ninja, the Flame now features dual Sony L-Series battery plates that support battery hot-swapping, enabling longer run times. For audio recording, the monitor features a 3.5mm microphone input, with on-screen audio level display. Additionally, the monitor features a variety of on-screen exposure analysis, framing, and focus assist tools. Included with the basic kit are a Master Caddy II 2.5" drive enclosure and an AC adapter power supply. A travel case for storing the monitor is also included to protect it during storage and transport.
- 1920 x 1200 resolution
- 10-bit FRC monitoring processing
- 1500 cd/m² brightness
- 4K HDMI input/output
- AtomHDR technology displays 10 stops of dynamic range to natively display HDR (log) footage
- Presets for viewing log gamma curves from Sony, Canon, Panasonic, ARRI, RED, and JVC cameras
- High Bright mode for Rec. 709 viewing
- UHD 4K downscale for HD monitoring
- Supports custom 3D LUTs (.cube format)
- Anamorphic de-squeeze: 2x, 1.5x, 1.33x, Panasonic 8:3
- UHD 4K recording at 24/25/30 fps
- 1080p recording up to 120 fps
- 10-bit 4:2:2 ProRes and DNxHR recording to SSD/HDD media
- Pre-roll record (HD 8 seconds, 4K 2 seconds)
- Custom time-lapse mode
- 10 metadata fields
- 3.5mm microphone input
- Audio level meters and mic level adjustment
- Dual Sony L-Series type battery slots support hot-swappable for continuous power
- Built-in armor with silicone-covered corners